1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T dry sherry
4 tsp cornstarch
Peanut or Vegetable Oil
6 cups shredded cabbage or preshredded coleslaw mix
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 lb ground beef, pork, or turkey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
12 egg roll wrappers or 24 wonton wrappers
Sweet and Sour sauce for dipping
Chinese Hot Mustard for dipping
1. Blend soy sauce and sherry into cornstarch in cup until smooth.
2. Heat wok or large skillet over med-high heat. Add 1 T oil; heat until hot. Add cabbage, mushrooms and onions; stir-fry 2 minutes (cabbage will still be crisp) Remove, set aside.
3. Add beef, garlic, and crushed red pepper to wok; cook until beef is no longer pink, stirring to separate beef. Spoon off fat.
4. Stir soy sauce mixture and add to wok. Stir fry 2 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Return cabbage mixture; heat through, mixing well.*
5. Place each egg roll wrapper with one point toward edge of counter. Spoon filling across and just below center of wrapper; use heaping 1/3 cup filling for each egg roll wrapper or 2 tsp filling for each wonton wrapper
6. To form egg roll fold bottom point of wrapper up over filling. Fold side points over filling, forming an envelope shape. Moisten inside edges of top point with water and roll egg roll toward that point,pressing firmly to seal. Repeat with remaining wrapper and filling.
7. Pour 1/2 inch oil into large skillet. Heat oil to 375 degree F. Fry egg rolls, 2 or 3 at a time or mini egg rolls 6 to 8 at a time 2 minutes per side or until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet and sour sauce and hot mustard.
Makes about 12 egg rolls or 24 mini egg rolls
*Egg roll filling may be made ahead to this point; cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. When ready to use, heat mixture until hot. Proceed as directed in step 5