Monday, June 14, 2010

Flag Day...

Today is flag day. A quiet day that doesn't seem to be much more than two little words on the calendar to many a youth. Upon that observation let me share something that I received in an  email from an old friend.

I Am Old Glory

I am old glory; for more the 9 score years I have been the banner of hope and freedom for generation after generation of Americans. Born amid the first flames of America's fight for freedom, I am the symbol of a country that has grown from a little group of 13 colonies to a united nation of 50 sovereign states. Planted firmly on the high pinnacle of American Faith, my gently fluttering folds have proved an inspiration to untold millions. Men have followed me into battle with unwavering courage. They have looked upon me as a symbol of national unity. They have prayed that they and their fellow citizens might continue to enjoy the life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, which have been granted to every American as the heritage of free men. So long as men love liberty more than life itself, so long as they treasure the priceless privileges bought with the blood of our forefathers; so long as the principles of truth, justice and charity for all remain deeply rooted in human hearts, I shall continue to be the enduring banner of the United States of America.


I Am Your Flag

I am the symbol of the living America, the badge of its greatness, the emblem of its destiny.
I am faith. It is I who keep men mindful of their priceless heritage, life, liberty, and the right to pursue happiness.
I am hope. I represent the land of promise wherein, already, man's loftiest dreams have approached closer to realization than ever before on this earth.
I am life. Each strand and fiber of my being is a memorial, dedicated to the sacrifices of all those strong men and steadfast women who have lived and died in the nation's service, that it might live forever.
I am tolerance. So long as I shall wave, all people under my protection may freely worship, think, write and speak, undaunted by the shadow of fear.
I am justice, tempered with mercy. For I am friend to the oppressed and downtrodden of every land.
I am a sign of the future. I wave over schools throughout the nation and in them the nation's future is molded.
I am the flag of the United States... the last... the best hope for peace on earth.


Remember Our Flag 
author unknown

Somewhere a bugle softly sounds
The message of renown,
And men inside their buildings wait
  Until the flag comes down

And others run to get their cars,
Quite harrowed or dismayed,
Afraid they will not reach the gate
Before retreat is played-
Not thinking of the flag or the men
Who fought to keep it flying

How many would be glad to stand,
Whose bodies are now mute,
Or have no hand they might raise
And stand in proud salute

So accept it not as duty
But a privilege even more
And receive it as an honor
  Instead of just a chore






No comments:

Post a Comment